My writing focuses on amplifying the voices of folks from marginalized communities in music, art, and activism. Below are selected clips from my work. Click on the publications to review respective author profiles in full.
I write a weekly column called From Slacktivism to Activism which is a curated roundup of activist-oriented events in town ranging from academic discussions to film screening fundraisers to queer dance parties. Here’s the first one that ran.
I also write about music, art, and comedy.
ONLINE & PRINT:
- In The Black, Intisar Abioto Documents Connection, Community, and Place, 2 | 2017
- Renée Lopez’s My Life Through My Lens, 2 | 2017
- Music Preview: DJ Anjali & The Incredible Kid, 12 | 2016
- Music Preview: LSDXOXO, 12 | 2016
- Hari Kondabolu: Making Mainstream Cool Again, 11 | 2016
- Fea Fights Fascism with Feminism, 11 | 2016
- Alice Bag’s Self-Titled Solo Debut is 40 Years in the Making, 11 | 2016
- Music Preview: Máscaras, 09 | 2016
- Intersect Fest’s Punk Ethos, 09 | 2016
- Y La Bamba’s Luz Elena Mendoza Overcomes Darkness Through Art, 08 | 2016
- G.LO.S.S.’ Sweat-Soaked Solidarity, 08 | 2016
- An Interview with Y.G.B., 07 | 2016
- Music Preview: Edna Vazquez, 06 | 2016
- Music Preview: La Nobleza de Aguililla y La Mar-K de Tierra Caliente, 06 | 2016
ONLINE & PRINT:
I’ve contributed over 70 pieces to the feminist publication since 2012, both online and in print.
- Freedom of Information: Libraries in the Age of Trump, 12 | 2016
- Shred Head: “She Shreds” is Carving out Space for Women Guitarists, 12 | 2016
- The Raw Emotions, Music, and Activism of Thao Nguyen, 08 | 2016
- They Got the Beat: How a Female Beatmakers Collective is Reshaping Electronic Music Culture, 04 | 2016
- 15 Latina Activists Who Inspire Me, 03 | 2016
- A New TV Series Honors Celia Cruz, la Reina de Salsa, article was also cross-published on Feministing and Ms. Magazine, 11 | 2015
- A Cap and Gown in the Strawberry Fields: An Interview with Eunice Gonzalez, 08 | 2015
- How a War Sought to Destroy Cambodia’s Music Culture, 06 | 2015
- Selena Forever, 05 | 2015
- Tom Tom Magazine Celebrates Five Years—And Founds a Drum School, 02 | 2015
- Victim Blaming at the Miss America Pageant, 09 | 2014
- The Hunger Games’ Anti-Consumerism Message is No Match for Cover Girl,11 | 2013
- Interview with Aparna Nancherla, World’s Sweetest Comedian, 10 | 2013
- Rejoice! There’s a New, Inclusive Sex-Ed Comic Book, 09 | 2013
- “Alien Boy” is a Chilling Documentary on One Case of Police Brutality, 04 | 2013
- My Picks for the Five Most Sexist Ads of the Super Bowl, (top 10 most popular articles of 2013), 02 | 2013
- Adventures in Feministory: Domitila Barrios de Chungara, 10 | 2012
Originally wrote market, bar, and neighborhood reviews. Later contributed to the street fashion photography section for the Portland alt weekly.
WRITING (ONLINE & PRINT):